Simancas University Institute of History
University of Valladolid
Casa del Estudiante / Casa del Alcaide
C/ Real de Burgos, s/n
47011 Valladolid (España)
Phn. + 34 983 423 527
Brief Description of the Institution:
The Simancas University Institute of History is a University of Valladolid centre devoted to fostering specialised research and teaching in history for postgraduates, and is a vehicle for ongoing training as well as scientific and technical consulting in its particular area.
The Simancas University Institute of History is an interdisciplinary research centre comprising teaching staff from various faculties at the University of Valladolid as well as archivists and museum staff. As a result, its researchers focus on issues related to political history, social history, history of art, economic history, cultural history, history of science and history of law, stretching from Antiquity to the present day. Its geographical area covers the Spanish speaking world, and focuses particular attention on areas that belonged to the former Crown of Castile.
The period of history the Institute deals with stretches from the Middle Ages to the modern day world, covering the four main areas that make up said period: Medieval History, Early Modern History, Modern History and Economic History.
In order to achieve its research goals, the Institute seeks to:
- Undertake agreements with public and private bodies to conduct research in certain issues and topics of a historical nature.
- Develop funded research programmes aimed at and carried out by members of the Institute in conjunction, or otherwise, with other work teams.
- Link grant holders and young researchers to said agreements and programmes, the key objective being for them to write their doctoral thesis.
- Create a privileged relation with the Simancas General Archive and the Chancellery as well as with other archives and museums which form part of the Valladolid university district, including the Valladolid municipal archive.
- Establish permanent scientific contact with researchers, professors and scientific institutions both in Spain and abroad.
- Provide the Institute with the essential material means available at the present time that will allow for research and scientific contact: computers linked to Internet, computerised bibliographical and documental information, e-mail facilities and so on.
For the specialised teaching of history and ongoing teaching staff training, the Institute, has engaged in the following activities and will continue to pursue them in the future:
- Third Cycle Programmes.
- Series of lectures on particular topics.
- Conferences, seminars, round tables, debates, and all kinds of meetings bringing together specialists.
- Training courses for researchers and archivists.
- Postgraduate courses addressing topics of special interest related to history.
- Scientific publications.